\"People don\'t read on the Internet\". We beg to differ. Words are a vital component of a user’s experience, and the wrong phrase or perplexing explanation can drive people to mistrust your service, app, or site. But you already know this.
As part of the Identity and Network Access team, your love of words and language will have the opportunity to shine through as you ensure every feature, menu, and page makes sense and resonates with real people. Your skill in taking complex technologies and creating approachable and engaging content will be key to your success. Working autonomously with senior stakeholders across engineering, design, and marketing, you\'ll have a unique view into our products that you\'ll use to drive a consistent voice and improve what we say and how we say it.
There are over a billion Microsoft account holders who use our services monthly. The words these people encounter in our user experiences must reinforce our brand values while illuminating some of the most potentially frustrating experiences one can have – authentication, account and profile management and security, to name a few.
Every day, you’ll work on projects that have an immediate impact on Microsoft’s business as well as long-term explorations that will help shape our strategy, vision, voice, and UX direction. You’ll work on every aspect of our very unique and modern interface and create strategies and content for a wide variety of content challenges across web, mobile, desktop, and promotional materials.
You’ll be happiest here if you:
- See words as an incredibly powerful design material for connecting with people
- Are passionate about the customer
- Are articulate and prepared
- Have a positive yet practical attitude
This role might not be a good fit if you:
- Work quickly without compromising quality
- Take initiative and aren’t afraid to fail
- Design for impact.
- Have a learning mindset no matter what you’re working on
- Work better in structured, top-down environments than in the often-ambiguous and uncertain world of creative independence
- See failure as humiliation rather than a necessary risk
- Value striving for perfection over an agile work ethic
- Write friendly, brilliantly clear UI text with language that lands within the parameters of our voice & tone principles
- Design and write content for in-product experiences that help customers achieve their goals
- Capitalize on multiple sources of customer data to inform your content design
- Understand, employ, and evangelize our content design principles, coherence guidelines, and content design evaluation tools.
- Identify opportunities for content additions, improvements, and innovations and effectively pitch those ideas to the team and stakeholders
- Perform functional and editorial quality assurance on content as appropriate
- Excellent writing skills—short, clear, clever, convincing
- Bachelor\'s degree in Creative Writing, English, Journalism, Technical Communication, or related field
- Experience as a creative director, copywriter, content strategist, managing editor, technical writer, or similar role with a technology company or integrated/digital/brand agency
- Significant experience creating UX content and marketing communications for large software products or suites of software products
- Passion for creating beautiful, engaging, intuitive, efficient, highly usable user experiences
- Experience working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team and working directly with designers and developers
- Adept at writing powerful, concise copy on target with (or without) strategic direction
- High technical aptitude and attention to detail—and not afraid of complicated subject matter
- Understanding of current technology and consumer expectations of authentication and account management
- Comfortable effectively explaining work in defense of the brief and/or direction given, and presenting a clear articulation of recommendations (one approach over another)
- Experience creating or contributing to style guides
- Experience or training in Design Thinking methodology
- Experience in customer research
- Flexible, versatile writing across form factors, subject matter, and audiences
- Ability to represent content strategy as an integral part of iterative product development
- Creative collaboration and problem-solving skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.