We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
As a Site Reliability Engineer within Coinbase Institutional, you\'ll be critical to helping engineering teams design, deploy, and manage reliable software across all our development and production environments. You will work with engineering teams to set service-level objectives, improve observability, ensure production readiness, optimize service and system performance and facilitate incident response and follow up.
What you’ll be doing (i.e. job duties):
- Be on Pager rotation to respond to Coinbase Prime incidents
- Improve observability, reliability and availability by defining and measuring key metrics
- Partner with Engineering teams to teach and demonstrate industry best practices
- Facilitate incident response, conduct root cause analysis and blameless retrospectives
- Automate operational tasks such as load testing
- Help partners design and implement reliable system architectures
What we look for in you:
- You have at least 5 years of combined experience in backend software or infrastructure
- Strong skills around observability, debugging and performance tuning
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain technical concepts clearly and simply
- Strong interpersonal skills working with Engineers from junior to principal levels
- Demonstrated critical thinking under pressure
- A willingness to dive into understanding, debugging, and improving any layer of the stack
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with working in rapid growth environments
- Experience in Ruby, Go, and Terraform
- Experience with AWS, GCP, Azure, or other cloud environment
- Experience designing and building reliable systems
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Experience writing company-facing blog posts and training material
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations@ coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact accommodations@ coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Benefits at Coinbase
- Health and Dental insurance covered at 100% for employees and 50% for dependents
- Eyecare vouchers
- Disability and Life Assurance
- Monthly Gym Allowance
- Volunteer Time Off
- Fertility Counseling and Benefits
- Individual Career Development budget
- Pension plan with company match
- Tax saver commuter program
- 18 weeks paid Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Snacks and Lunch provided onsite
Learn more about our mission